Thursday, October 10, 2013

third time will be the charm

P.S. I finally got my blonde back!  I love it so much, it's not even funny...

We have been super busy the last couple of weeks and I can't possible fathom all of my thoughts in one blog post ("My thoughts are stars I can't fathom into constellations"...John Green reference?  Anyone? Moving on...).  So, we'll start with Monday (September 23).  Later in the week, JD's little brother, Willy would be entering the LDS Missionary Training Center in Provo, UT and then report to Canada to serve a two year mission for the LDS church.  We intended to be with the family in Spanish Fork, UT on Monday night, then spend Tuesday and Wednesday "day" there before heading home on Wednesday evening.  JD was going to be working until noon on Monday, then we would head down to Spanish Fork, UT.

I'd been having some issues with my sinuses for a while now and was avoiding getting into an ENT until I was on my new insurance (because the $6,000 deductible my parent's had was not appealing).  So the week before our planned trip I called an ENT listed on my insurance who had great credentials.  They could get me in on Monday at 8:00 a.m., otherwise the next opening wasn't for a few weeks.  So, I took the Monday appointment even though my husband couldn't come to the appointment with me.  My mom graciously volunteered to take me to the appointment, then JD would bring our car and meet us in Salt Lake.

My appointment was with Dr. Alt at the University of Utah Hospital (P.S. if you live anywhere near there and have sinus issues GO TO THEM, they're awesome).  I had a CT Scan right before my appointment and then we walked over to the hospital clinic where the ENT clinic is.  After meeting with the nurse, then working with the doctor and his team of residents I learned that I am full of nasal polyps.  Again.

Since I was sixteen, I have had this surgery every two years.  Now I'm approaching 21 and having my third sinus surgery on December 20.  I was so upset.  I felt defeated, I wondered what was wrong with me, I wondered if there was something I wasn't doing to prevent them.  My doctor at the clinic was wonderful.  Even when I started getting teary finding out I had to go under the knife again, he was very comforting and supportive.  He is a professor at the University, he is performing tons of studies on why people get nasal polyps and what causes them for each individual case and (best of all) 95% of his patients haven't had to have the operation again.  So, I'm at least feeling confident this time around.

My husband was by my side the last time I had this surgery.  However, he was my just boyfriend back then and didn't have to deal with me 24/7.  So, this time around will probably be a bit of a shocker to him.  But, I have my fingers crossed that recovery will be smooth, we won't get any big surprises and all will be well.  I really do feel incredibly comfortable and confident in my new medical team.  They are caring, they are smart and they have cutting edge technology.  So, fingers crossed that we never have to do this again!

More installments of the last couple of week's shenanigans will be coming shortly.  Until then fellow bloggers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming to my little corner of the blog world. I love you already!